Ontario farmers who buy and use Class 2 or 3 pesticides on farms must be certified.
Ontario farmers who mix, load or apply Class 2 or 3 pesticides under supervision of a Certified Farmer must be trained.
To become a Certified Farmer, you must:
- participate in a Grower Pesticide Safety Course and pass the open-book test with a mark of 75% or more, AND
- be 16 years of age or older, AND
- be a farmer as defined under Regulation 63/09 of the Ontario Pesticides Act.
The certification fee is $105 (no HST) per person. Anyone is welcome to take the course and only those who meet the required age and farmer definition will be issued a certificate.
To become a Farmer Assistant, you must participate in:
- a Grower Pesticide Safety Course. The certification fee is $105 (no HST). OR
- a Pesticide Safety for Farmer Assistants training session presented by an On-Farm Instructor. The fee to register each Farmer Assistant with us is $25. On-Farm Instructors, hired outside the farm, set their own training fees.
To become an On-Farm Instructor, you must:
- participate in a half-day On-Farm Instructor Course. This course is for Certified Farmers who want to become qualified to train Farmer Assistants. The course fee is $65 (no HST).