Do Farmer Assistants use Class 2 or 3 pesticides on your farm?
Farmer Assistants are workers who mix, load Class 2 or 3 pesticides under the supervision of a Certified Farmer. Farmer Assistants must be trained if they use Class 2 or 3 pesticides. Certified Farmers are responsible for the pesticide use of Class 2 or 3 pesticides by Farmer Assistants. One Certified Farmer may supervise up to 3 Farmer Assistants working with pesticides at any given time. Farmer Assistants may train in one of two ways. They may:
- participate in a Grower Pesticide Safety Course (no test required) OR
- particiate in Pesticide Safety for Farmer Assistants training provided by an On-Farm Instructor.
A Certified Farmer may qualify to train Farmer Assistants if she completes the On-Farm Instructor Course. On-Farm Instructors are provided with resources to teach their own employees, or other farmers' employees, how to handle and use pesticide safely.
Become qualified to train Farmer Assistants on your farm. Participate in an On-Farm Instructor Course.
We offer a half-day On-Farm Instructor Course for Certified Farmers who want to become qualified to train Farmer Assistants. When you participate in the On-Farm Instructor Course, you'll learn how to train Farmer Assistants in the best practices of pesticide safety. You will receive a kit of training materials and supplies. You must have a valid Grower Pesticide Safety Course certificate to participate in this course. The course fee is $65. An On-Farm Instructor Course qualification is valid for five years.
Sign Up for an On-Farm Instructor Course
Choose a On-Farm Instructor Course. Call us at 1-800-652-8573 or sign up online.
Have a translator available. Present the training in a language that the trainees can understand. Spanish speaking On-Farm Instructors are available for hire to train Farmer Assistants. Call 1-800-652-8573 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for a list of available Spanish speaking On-Farm Instructors.
Use the training materials you received at your On-Farm Instructor Course
- Workbooks available in English, French, Spanish, Low German or Thai
- On-Farm Instructor Guide
- Farmer Assistant training presentations in English, Spanish, Low German
- Demonstration items of protective clothing and personal protective equipment such as disposable coveralls, chemical-resistant gloves, goggles, and an apron.
- Any items from your farm that will help you teach Farmer Assistants
Complete, sign and send your Record of Safety Training for Assistants form.
- After you train a Farmer Assistant, you must complete the Record of Pesticide Safety Training form and send it to the Ontario Pesticide Education Program. Send the form to us by fax 519-674-1589 or email to email@example.com.
- Payment is $25 (no HST) per Assistant. We accept MasterCard or VISA. Call 1-800-652-8573 to provide your credit card information.
- We keep a record that the Farmer Assistant is trained and issue a training card to the Farmer Assistant.
Did you hire the services of another On Farm Instructor to deliver the training for you? If you did, a Certified Farmer from your operation must be present during the training session. The Certified Farmer from your operation must also sign the Record of Pesticide Safety Training form.
Get the training materials you need.
An Additional Resource: Pesticide Safety for Farm Workers Manual
This manual has safety information for farm workers who don't handle or use pesticides, but work on farms that use pesticides. Workers can learn how to work safely on farms when Certified Farmers or Farmer Assistants are using pesticides. Call us for free copies of this manual, available in Spanish and English.