Pesticide Vendor Certification Course
To achieve certification, you must complete the requirements of the Pesticide Vendor Certification Course. In the course, you will learn how to sell and use pesticides properly. The course does not include crop production recommentations.
How to get certified?
- participate in the online course and pass the learning activities with a grade of 75% or greater, OR
- participate in the one-day in-person course with an open book test, OR
- self-study and then sign up for a test session.
All certification options are the same fee. You can rewrite the test again at no charge within six months, if you don't pass the first time. Outlet Representatives must re-certify every five years.
We courier your manuals to you before your course or test date.
The Pesticide Vendor Certification Course is offered online over 10 business days. You need to participate every day, for approximately 2 hours per day. Each day you will need to login to the class, discuss pesticide topics with your classmates, and complete each day’s learning activities. Instead of a test, you are evaluated on each day’s learning activities and your participation in discussions with your classmates and the instructor. You must submit each day’s learning activities by 11 pm of that day. The activities contribute to your overall certification grade for a possible total grade of 100%. You need a grade of 75% or greater to successfully complete the course for certification. The more you learn before you begin the course, the easier it will be for you to participate and complete the learning activities. Before the course starts,
- Read the manual chapters.
- Practice your understanding by completing the Practice Your Understanding questions at the end of each chapter.
- Watch the videos.
Computer Skills and Equipment. You are expected to be competent in the use of the internet and know how to use email as you will be searching the internet and corresponding with other students in your class. The course works best when you use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox browsers. Internet Explorer or Safari are not compatible. You need a high speed connection to enrol in this course and use the internet for the webex conference which happens on the first Monday from 11 am until noon.
Demonstration of the course:
About the In-Person Options
The test is open book so you may refer to your Pesticide Vendor Certification Course Manual and the crop production guides when writing. The test is made up of short answer and multiple choice questions. You are welcome to use a calculator.
Getting Ready for Certification
To prepare for certification,
- View our videos on our YouTube Channel, Ontario Pesticide Education Program or listen to the podcasts of each chapter.
- Read the manual
- Look at the Table of Contents. This will help you to follow along in the course or to find information during the open-book test.
- Find the glossary at the back of the book. Refer to the glossary if you are unsure about the meaning of a technical word that is new to you.
- Complete the Practice Your Understanding questions at the end of each chapter: the answers are at the back of the book.
- Are you confident that you can calculate how much to use? Read the chapter "Applying the Right Amount of Pesticide" and complete the practice questions.
- Pesticide labels give you directions specific to each product. Read the chapter "The Pesticide Label" to learn about the information on a pesticide label.
Certified Crop Advisors Earn Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
In the online course or the two day course, Certified Crop Advisors earn 9 CEUs: 7 in Integrated Pest Management, 1 in Soil & Water Management and 1 in Professional Development. In the one day recertification course Certified Crop Advisors earn 3 CEUs: 2 in Integrated Pest Management and 1 in Professional Development.
Sign up for a date and location. Courses are offered all year with most courses offered between December and April.
If you have any special needs, please call us at 1-866-683-6737. We're here to help!