To achieve certification, you must complete the requirements of the Pesticide Vendor Certification Course. In the course, you will learn how to sell and use pesticides properly. The course does not include crop production recommentations.
The Pesticide Vendor Certification Course is offered online over 8 business days. You need to participate every day, for approximately 2 hours per day (total time is the same as a 2-day course). Each day you will need to login to the class, discuss pesticide topics with your classmates, and complete each day’s learning activities. You are evaluated on each day’s learning activities and your participation in discussions with your classmates and the instructor. You must submit each day’s learning activities by 11 pm of that day. The activities contribute to your overall certification grade for a possible total grade of 100%. You need a grade of 75% or greater to successfully complete the course for certification. The more you learn before you begin the course, the easier it will be for you to participate and complete the learning activities. Before the course starts,
- Read the manual chapters.
- Practice your understanding by completing the Practice Your Understanding questions at the end of each chapter.
- Watch the videos.
Computer Skills and Equipment. You are expected to be competent in the use of the internet and know how to use email as you will be searching the internet and corresponding with other students in your class. The course works best when you use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox browsers. Internet Explorer or Safari are not compatible. You need a high speed connection to enrol in this course. For our class conference on Monday at 11 am until noon, you will need both internet, to watch the presentation, and a phone to call the conference line to hear the presentation.
Demonstration of the course:
Are you certifying for the first time or renewing?
Vendors who are certifying for the first time or renewing may participate in
- an online course and pass the learning activities with a grade of 75% or greater.OR
- self-study and then sign up for a test session. Test sessions are scheduled. However, contact us if you need to arrange a a different time.
Outlet Representatives must re-certify every five years.
The certification fee is $200 (no HST). We courier your manuals to you before your course or test date. If you fail at a test session, you must then participate in a full course and rewrite tthe test.
Certified Crop Advisors Earn Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
In the online course or the two day course, Certified Crop Advisors earn 9 CEUs: 7 in Integrated Pest Management, 1 in Soil & Water Management and 1 in Professional Development. In the one day recertification course Certified Crop Advisors earn 3 CEUs: 2 in Integrated Pest Management and 1 in Professional Development.
Get Ready for Certification
To prepare for certification,
- View our videos on our YouTube Channel, Ontario Pesticide Education Program
- Read the manual
- Look at the Table of Contents. This will help you to follow along in the course or to find information during the open-book test.
- Find the glossary at the back of the book. Refer to the glossary if you are unsure about the meaning of a technical word that is new to you.
- Complete the Practice Your Understanding questions at the end of each chapter: the answers are at the back of the book.
- Are you confident that you can calculate how much to use? Read the chapter "Applying the Right Amount of Pesticide" and complete the practice questions.
- Pesticide labels give you directions specific to each product. Read the chapter "The Pesticide Label" to learn about the information on a pesticide label.
- Complete the online tutorial, "Use Pesticides Safely" This will help you understand the pesticide label and required math calculations.
About the Test
The test is open book so you may refer to your Pesticide Vendor Certification Course Manual and the crop production guides when writing. The test is made up of short answer and multiple choice questions. You are welcome to use a calculator. You can write the test again at no charge, if you don't pass the first time.
Sign up for a date and location. Courses are offered all year with most courses offered between December and April. All course days begin at 9 am and end about 4:30 pm.
If you have any special needs, please call us at 1-866-683-6737. We're here to help!